Finding Personal Injury Attorneys in California
If you have a personal injury case, it’s important that you find the right attorney. Here’s how to find a good personal injury lawyer in California.
Each year around 400,000 personal injury cases are filed and 16,000 go to court. Over 50% of these cases tend to be motor vehicle accidents. With such a high prevalence of personal injury cases, a California plaintiff or defendant may require some guidance to find a good attorney.
What Qualifies as Personal Injury
The legal definition of personal injury is an injury to the body, mind or emotions, as opposed to an injury to property. Personal injury law, also known as tort law, allows individuals to file a civil lawsuit in court and receive legal remedy for the losses caused by the incident.
Breaking Down Personal Injury Law
Personal injury can be broken down into four primary categories.
- Accidents: Personal injury law is applicable in situations where an individual’s carelessness caused harm to another individual. Examples include medical malpractice and car accidents.
- Intentional Harm: Personal Injury laws are applicable in cases where the defendant’s intentional acts resulted in harm to another. Examples range from assault to domestic abuse.
- Defective Product: If a product such as a pharmaceutical drug, car, medical device, etc is defective and causes harm, you may be entitled to compensation by a lawsuit against the provider of the product. An example of a defective product would include brakes not working properly in a car, leading to a car accident.
- Defamation: If an individual’s statement brings harm to another person, then personal injury law is applicable. An example would include losing a job over a false accusation.
Legal Process in Personal Injury Case
If a case is brought against a defendant the process can be broken down into three steps.
- Defendant does something to injure the plaintiff
- Plaintiff argues that the defendant breached their legal duty. For example, drivers have a duty to operate the vehicle in a safe and reasonable manner.
- Settlement talks occur. If a settlement is not reached, then the case will go to trial.
Personal Injury Legal Resources
California has numerous personal injury attorneys that can assist in a defendant’s or plaintiff’s case. On average the attorney takes 33% to 40% of the amount the lawyer gets for their client. However, it is not rare for the attorney to end up with most of the obtained settlement money or trial decision money. Legal experts advise that a plaintiff only acquire an attorney if the harm is worth going to trial for. This would usually include wrongful death cases, medical malpractice cases, defamation cases, and motor vehicle cases. It is important to note that 97% of personal injury cases are settled before going to court.
If you’ve suffered due to another party’s negligence or malintent, contact Her Lawyer. We’ll get you in touch with the most qualified California personal injury attorney to protect and defend your legal rights.
FAQS About Finding a Good Personal Injury Attorney
When is it worth hiring an attorney in a personal injury case?
If opposing counsel refuses to settle or damages are significant, then it may be worth financial resources to obtain the best quality legal counsel.
How long do I have to file a personal injury after a motor vehicle accident?
Under California’s statute of limitations, a plaintiff has 6 months to sue for injuries caused by the car accident and three years to sue for property damages.
What happens if I am partially to blame for the accident?
As long as the majority of the fault is on the other party, you can recover a proportion of what the compensation would have been if it had been on the other party completely.
Contact Her Lawyer
if you or a loved one is looking to find a good personal injury attorney in California, contact us. We’ll get you in touch with the most qualified attorney for your legal issue. Your experienced attorney from Her Lawyer won’t charge you a dime unless you win your case. Get your free consultation with one of our California Personal Injury Attorneys today!